Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Brussel Sprouts & Chinese Sausage Stir-fry

~I am intrigued by brussel sprouts.  A common fascination, I am sure. I was about 8yrs old, the first time I had my first sighting. I happened to glance up in the frozen section and saw the words across the package. It was almost adorable; a cabbage in miniature. Over a decade later, I purchased my first bunch of fresh brussel sprouts and commenced experimenting. Sweet like cabbage and just a little crunchier because of the small cluster of leaves, it soon became one of my favorite vegetables. Adding mirin to the dish helps to bring out more of its natural sweetness.














Ingredients:
1 lb brussel sprouts- rinsed, remove any dark spots or yellow leaves, remove bottom stem, cut in half
1 lap cheung- sliced thinly in bias
1 ½ tbsp dried shrimp- soak in water
3 tbsp mirin
garlic salt
fresh ground pepper
vegetable oil

Directions:
  1. Set pan or wok on high heat, spread 1 tsp oil evenly across surface.
  2. Drain dried shrimp and shake off excess water, add to pan, toss for 10 seconds.
  3. Add lap cheung, a few pinches of garlic salt, and 1 tbsp mirin. Toss for 15 seconds and cover for 30 seconds.
  4. Remove contents of pan into small bowl and set aside.
  5. Return pan to stove, add 1 tsp oil and spread evenly across surface
  6. Add brussel sprouts, sprinkle garlic salt and fresh ground pepper. Level the pan so it leans toward the fire and toss in an upward motion.
  7. Add 2 tbsp mirin, and toss again. Add lap cheung and dried shrimp mixture to pan. Toss thoroughly, add 3 tbsp water and cover for 2min.
  8. As with any stir-fry, this is best served with steamed rice.

2 comments:

  1. ok if you add bacon to this....it might entice me to at least close my eyes and eat the little people

    ReplyDelete
  2. when I get back from SF after memorial day weekend...I will force myself to try brussel sprouts for the first time. I keep looking at this recipe and trying not to think of the cabbage patch kids

    ReplyDelete