Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Arugula Pesto (Pesto di Rucola)

~I’m a bit of a pesto snob.  Genoa pesto has always been the only pesto in my world. No matter how many articles I see in the food magazines about new food trends using other herbs in pesto, I’ve always stayed loyal. Until I came across something in Saveur- arugula pesto. I was intrigued.  A little bitter with peppery notes infused into leafy greens; arugula is by far my favorite green for salads.

It works just as well as Genoa pesto. I’ve tossed it in vine ripe tomatoes with fresh mozzarella for a caprese variation. I’ve also served it as an accompaniment to pan roasted pork loin; scrumptious doesn’t begin to cover it.


Ingredients:
2 cups packed arugula
¾ cup hazelnuts- peeled and toasted
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
¾ cup Parmiggiano Reggiano
Zest from 1 small lemon
1 clove garlic
salt
fresh ground pepper

Directions:                                                        


  1. Process first six ingredients until finely pureed. Taste and season with salt and pepper.  
  2. Store in sealed container in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or freeze in cubes.      
  





                                     


2 comments:

  1. what's Genoa pesto?

    Chris' cousin turned pesto into a dip by adding mayonnaise. omg it was divine

    ReplyDelete
  2. i used to top it on seared prawns just as they finished. great as an appetizer =)

    ReplyDelete