Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Skillet Roasted Yukons Smothered in Broccoli & Cheddar Cheese Sauce

~I will admit that as much as I love cooking, I also have my share of guilty pleasures. One of them being Lean Cuisine’s roasted potatoes with broccoli and cheese. It’s ridiculous, I know but for longest time, I was the only one in my household who enjoyed it. So it just didn’t make sense to actually cook it, just for me. But now that my little ones have gotten a little older and share my same enthusiasm in all things food, I decided it was high time I tried making it myself. My god, is it GOOD. This is by far the best technique to roast potatoes. It yields a light crispy crust and soft fluffy potato on the inside. Finished off with a winning combination of cheddar and broccoli- my 6yr old had three helpings before I had to tell him to stop.

















Equipment
3 quart pot
skillet
whisk
colander
large mixing bowl

Ingredients:
4 medium/large Yukons
2 cups broccoli florets
4 cloves garlic
1 tbsp unsalted sweet butter
2 tsp tapioca starch
½ cup whole milk
8oz sharp Cheddar- shredded
olive oil
salt
sugar
water

Directions:
  1. Place skillet into oven and preheat to 375 degrees.
  2. Wash potatoes and scrub skin thoroughly. Cut into quarters or thirds (approximately 1 ½” pieces).
  3. Fill pot 2/3 of the way with water and 1 tbsp salt. Set heat on high.
  4. Once water is boiling, add potatoes to the pot. Let boil for 5min. Pour through colander and drain. Rinse pot and set aside.
  5. Pour potatoes into mixing bowl. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, a few pinches of salt, and a pinch of sugar.  Mix thoroughly.
  6. Remove skillet and place onto stovetop. Lightly glaze with surface with olive oil.
  7. Pour potatoes into skillet. Try to cover as much surface space as possible. Wherever the potatoes touch the skillet, that’s where they will develop a wonderful crust. Tuck garlic cloves in between potato pieces.
  8. Place skillet back into oven and roast for 15min. Turn each piece over to brown crust on other side and roast for another 10min.
  9. Place potatoes into serving bowl. Discard garlic cloves. Cover and set aside to keep warm.
  10. Fill pot halfway with water and 1 tsp of salt. Set on high heat.
  11. Once water comes to boil, add broccoli. Once broccoli comes to a bright green color, remove immediately and drain in colander.
  12. Rinse pot and wipe dry. Set pot on medium heat.
  13. Add butter into pot. Once butter begins melting, whisk in starch until blended (no clumps).
  14. Whisk in milk. Once milk begins to boil, whisk in cheddar and blend until smooth. Taste and add salt if necessary.
  15. Fold broccoli into cheese sauce. Pour over potatoes. Serve immediately. 

1 comment:

  1. omg i shouldn't have read this recipe while hungry =( only one meal today =(

    ReplyDelete