Sunday, May 19, 2013

Middle Eastern Chickpea Salad (Balela)

~I was shopping one night at Trader Joe’s and glanced up to see a little tub of chick peas in the prepared foods section. I turned it this way and that- I saw specks of red, green, and a few black beans. The label said it was Middle Eastern. I was intrigued. I love finding new things to throw on top of my lunch salads and Trader Joe’s has never steered me wrong.

Score another hit for TJ’s! Lowly beans were brought to new heights with fresh herbs and bright lemon undertones. The flavors were simple, yet complex. I had to have MORE. But no way was I shelling out $2.69 for an 8oz tub of beans no matter how good they were. Fortunately, it looks like I wasn’t the only instant-convert.

*Cook’s note: it may keep for more than a week. I haven’t had a chance to find out since I finish a batch by myself in a week =)

Recipe adapted from Chef Kristin




















Ingredients:
15oz can chickpeas- rinsed and drained
7.5oz can black beans- rinsed and drained
6 grape tomatoes- halved
2 shallots- finely minced
¼ cup Italian parsley- minced
6 mint leaves- finely minced
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
Juice of ½ a lemon
¼ tsp kosher salt
large pinch fresh ground pepper
large pinch of cayenne

Directions:
  1. Make sure beans are thoroughly drained and fairly dried. Combine with rest of ingredients.
  2. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1hr before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment