Saturday, June 1, 2013

Roasted Strawberry Jam

~The best part of being part of a food page group, are the ideas that I wouldn’t have ever thought of myself. Someone in the group mentioned the other day about roasted strawberry jam. I was intrigued. And I just so happened to have 4lbs ripening faster than I could eat it. I had originally planned to make Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries, but the days just got away from me. In the past, I would have been forced to guiltily dump the strawberries, silently promising to never again waste so much food. But now, I can make jam! Because you are SUPPOSED to use overripe fruit. And the jam is so incredibly simple; no canning involved simply because it makes just enough for the next few weeks. Another bonus, your house will smell incredible. Like you’re a smurf living inside the ripest strawberry.  

















Yield: 1 ½ cup

Special Equipment:
Roasting pan

Ingredients:
4lbs ripe strawberries
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Wash berries thoroughly. Cut tops and carve away any parts which are discolored and mushy.
  3. Depending on how chunky you prefer the jam, either quarter or dice each berry.  
  4. Place berries into roasting pan and mix with sugar and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly. Spread berries flat across surface of roasting pan.
  5. Roast for approximately 2hrs 15min. Every 20-30min, stir to prevent burning and sticking. Make sure to stir and scrape the sides of the pan a bit.
  6. Remove and pour into a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to firm.



No comments:

Post a Comment