Saturday, February 11, 2012

Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House’ Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

~I’ve never eaten at Joe Fortes and since it’s a Canadian establishment, I have little point of reference (unlike the American Daniel’s Broiler or Ruth's Chris Steakhouse). However, I accidentally came across their mashed potato recipe years ago and if it’s any indication of the rest of their menu, I would absolutely love to hunt down the restaurant. This is a wonderfully flavorful mashed potato; kind of a mashed potato with “the works”. I love having chunks of potatoey goodness for contrast, but if you prefer a smoother texture, use a ricer or electric mixer. Since this is a side dish which is stuffed with flavor, I would suggest serving this with a simply prepared protein such as a nice roast chicken or a grilled pork chop.










Ingredients:
2 1/2 lbs red potatoes (large potatoes should be cut in 1/2)
2 tbsp unsalted butter- softened
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 tbsp fresh chives- chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
fresh ground pepper
salt

Directions: 
  1. In medium sauce pan, cover potatoes with water by 2-3" and simmer for about 30-40 min until very tender.
  2. Drain potatoes, transfer to large bowl.
  3. Add butter, sour cream, buttermilk, chives, olive oil, and roasted garlic.
  4. Mash thoroughly with potato masher or wooden mixing spoon.
  5. Add Parmesan, a few cracks of fresh ground pepper, salt to taste, and fold mixture thoroughly.

3 comments:

  1. I made this last night, and it was very tasty! I prefer to leave about half of the peel on the potatoes, but otherwise followed the recipe. Thank you for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Terry Multhauf and I developed this mashed potato recipe from a recipe my mother used to make when I was young. I worked at Joe Fortes (Vancouver BC) from 1985 to 1995 - I started out at a sous chef and took over the kitchen as Exec. Chef in 1991. One of my old cooks stumbled on your blog and sent me the link. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the potatoes. They were quite popular and I even received a write up in the Vancouver Sun as a result.
    Regards

    Terry Multhauf

    ReplyDelete