Sunday, February 26, 2012

Not an Oyster...

As I pondered how best to prepare oysters, I recalled a wonderfully flavored mignonette served at Wasabi Bistro. However, it also immediately brought to mind, the last and final time I dined there. My friends and I ordered our usual favorites; one of which included chilled oysters on a half shell, accompanied with an icy sake mignonette.

What we were served, however was very different than what I had expected or ever been served in a restaurant. Lying on top of a platter of ice, surrounding a small bowl of that wonderfully tangy and spicy mignonette, did not appear to be oysters. There were 12 shell-like discs only slightly larger than a quarter. I understand that some of the more squeamish prefer a smaller variety of oysters. However, these were far beyond small. These were likely at the beginning larvae stages of oyster development. For the restaurant mark-up of what is considered “market price”, we essentially got what is normally scraped off the sides of a grown oyster. There to be fucking barnacles bigger than what we had here.

….No, no…wait. Oh, this is too perfect. For illustration purposes, I Googled a picture of a barnacle for this post and I kid you not on this next part. Thank you, Wikipedia. Please direct your attention to the slightly large shells clinging to the side of the rock, next to said barnacles. These are called “limpets” and are apparently $15.95 per dozen at Wasabi Bistro.


UPDATE: It appears that they no longer have oysters on the half shell, on their menu. Good job, Wasabi Bistro. In the future, find a less obvious way to scam people. 

1 comment:

  1. My brother ordered oysters 7 years ago at red lobster Vallejo, CA. And that's what he got "limpets" ... Looking back I wish I said something about it. Good read and now I know!

    ReplyDelete