Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Seasoned Spicy Bai-Top Shell (Golrbaeng-ee Moochim)

~My in-laws were more than surprised when they saw me bring this dish out. Of all the types of items found on a Korean restaurant menu, this one is rarely offered. And even less often, ordered by a non-Korean. I had never tasted this dish from a professional kitchen. I had been perusing Korean recipes one day and came across “snails”. I love snails. I love obscure ingredients. My daughter takes after me in this regards; the weirder it is, the more she is prone to eat it. If not for the heat factor, I have no doubts she would be all over this dish. This is a snack dish, an anju to be served with beer (usually among men). I have never had it with beer, but I imagine it would pair well. The sweet, spicy, tangy sauce combined with the chewiness of the snails, the crunch of the carrots and cucumbers, and crisp bite of onion.












Ingredients:
½ English cucumber
½ medium carrot
½ onion
2 scallions

Marinade:
3 tbsp gochujang
3 tbsp lemon lime soda
4 tbsp bai-top liquor
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp gochukaroo
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp fresh ground pepper

Directions:
  1. Drain snails and reserve liquor separately for marinade. Slice snails on bias into halves.
  2. Slice cucumber in half lengthwise. Slice thinly on bias.
  3. Peel carrot and slice thinly on bias.
  4. Slice onion thinly.
  5. Slice scallions thinly on bias.
  6. In a medium bowl, mix marinade thoroughly. Taste and adjust accordingly.
  7. Add all ingredients into bowl and toss thoroughly. Serve immediately.


1 comment: