Thursday, March 29, 2012

Chinese Red Braised Pork (Hong Shao Rou)

~In her book Serve the People, Jen Lin-Liu, a second generation Chinese Southern Californian, travels back to China and decides to learn as much as she can about the food and cooking. I love books like this. It gives me hope that one day, I may have the stones to vacate out of the normal realm of social responsibility and do something I really love. In the meantime, I get to live vicariously through these fearless, talented authors.  I was fascinated by what is commonly praised as Chairman Mao’s favorite dish.  He was from the North, as is my father. When I made this dish, it was on a whim; some food project for me to dilly around. Little did I realize, that it would evoke childhood memories for my dad. Out of all my projects, this may be the one that had the most significance because it had meaning to my dad. Some recipes call for star anise or rock sugar. Since my dad loves this version so much, I have never tinkered with it.  Do not be taken aback by the dark color of the dish. Dark soy sauce imparts a very dark hue, but adds rich, sweeter flavor.  Of course, the pork is succulent and tender beyond words.











Ingredients:
2 lbs pork belly- cut into 1 ½” cubes
½ cup vegetable oil
1 scallion- chopped
4 slices ginger
½ cup sugar
2 ½ cups water
2-3 cilantro sprigs (optional)

Directions:
  1. Fill medium stockpot halfway with water and bring to boil.
  2. Add pork and cook for 5min. Skim off froth.
  3. Drain pork and rinse with cold water. Drain and set aside.
  4. Place wok on high heat. When wok comes to smoking point, add oil, scallions, and ginger. Toss quickly.
  5. Add pork and stir fry for 3min.
  6. Add rice wine and stir fry for 1min.
  7. Add soy sauce and stir fry for 1min.
  8. Stir in sugar and reduce heat to medium.
  9. Add water, cover and simmer on low heat for 1.5- 2hrs.
  10. Pour contents into a large serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Serve with steamed rice. 

1 comment:

  1. i love when food transports you to a treasured memory. =) I'm sure your dad appreciated this very much!

    ReplyDelete