Saturday, October 20, 2012

Apple Bacon Jam

~I admit I’m a little late to the party. The bacon jam wagon was packed, loaded, and took off months ago. If not a year prior. Up until now, I’ve ignored it because I prefer my bacon in its purest form; pan-fried crisp, a bit chewy, and left alone.  Of course, over the normal course of time, eventually you begin to wonder what all the fuss is about. Not to mention it’s currently Fall and I wanted to cook up something more interesting than mere apples. Bacon jam obviously makes a great condiment. Depending on the type of bacon, choice in spices, and sugar content- it could yield a smoky, spicy flavor. However, the basic flavor profile should have a perfectly addictive balance of sweet, savory, and tangy.  This is a fantastic condiment to use as a sandwich spread, appetizer, or even ice cream. That’s right; ice cream. Add a few spoonfuls on a scoop of vanilla and see if you don’t feel like you’re eating like a pregnant woman.

I chose these particular ingredients because this is what was in my pantry. I encourage you to put in your own substitutions from similar flavor families.

Special equipment:
Blender
Thick bottomed pan or pot

Ingredients:
2 lbs thick cut hickory smoked bacon- sliced
3 large yellow onions (yields about 4 cups)- sliced
6 cloves garlic- minced
½ cup seasoned rice vinegar
¼ cup spiced rum
2/3 cup brown sugar
Fresh ground pepper
Sea salt

Directions:
  1. Place pan on medium heat and cook bacon until it begins to crisp. Remove bacon and set aside. Drain out all but a few tablespoons of fat from the pan.
  2. Return to pan to stove and add apples and onions. Cook for about 5min.
  3. Once apples and onions begin to caramelize, garlic, and vinegar. Using a wooden spoon, gently scrape the bottom of the pan for the bacon fond and blend in to deglaze pan.
  4. Add rum and brown sugar. Lower heat and slowly simmer for about 45min. Turn off heat.
  5. Pour about 2/3 of jam into blender and puree.
  6. Fold jam puree into the remaining 1/3 jam.
  7. Can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. all i need is the bacon and I'm on my way to making bacon jam

    ReplyDelete