Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Heart-Healthy Turkey Meatballs

~Jamie Eason is a well-known fitness guru. One of her most popular recipes is a turkey meatloaf muffin. I have to admit, I wasn’t thrilled with the idea when my best friend laid it on top of a salad and called it a “snack”. It is basically- you guess it; turkey meatloaf baked in muffin tins; very low fat, very *yawn* healthy.  Maybe it was my extremely low expectations for turkey; maybe it was the company; or maybe it was all the extra pepper.  A few bites in, and it became strangely addicting.  Every week, I bake a batch of meatballs to throw on top of my lunch salads. I used Jamie Eason’s base of turkey, egg whites, and oats- and added a few of my own twists. This is a veer from my usual so don’t expect this to be it’s-so-good-it’ll-rock-your-world fantastic, but it is very healthy, tasty, and by golly- it can’t always be about the wonderful world of fat.






















Special Equipment:
half sheet pan
silpat

Ingredients
20oz ground turkey (93% lean)
1/3 cup fennel- minced
½ cup onion- minced
¼ cup cilantro- minced
3 egg whites
1 cup dry oats
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp salt
2 tsp fresh ground pepper

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
  3. Using a spoon, scoop and form meatballs (a little over 1” in diameter). Set on top of silpat-lined sheet pan.
  4. Bake for 20-25min. Set aside to cool before serving. 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You know, sometimes I don't even use dressing. Just add a little salt and lots of fresh ground pepper to the salad- maybe a few avocado slices and voila.

      Delete
  2. question - i know when a recipe calls for dry oats, I know it's not the instant oatmeal packet...but the quaker oats that you have to cook up...is that the one that's suppose to be used in recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quaker Oats come in different types too; sometimes it says rolled oats, sometimes quick oats. The biggest difference is in size of the oat- quick is smaller. It really depends on your preference on texture- smaller has more texture. For the meatballs, I used rolled oats.

      Delete