Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Shrimp Ceviche

~I am almost embarrassed to include this recipe because of how easy it is. But I promised to take requests and you should never say ‘no’ to a pregnant woman. I do want to point out that I cannot vouch for its authenticity and it is very likely suited towards the American palate.  Case in point- while on vacation across the border, the same friend’s husband said that he preferred my ceviche over what he had in Mexico.  











Ingredients:
1 lb shrimp
1 small Hass avocado
3 vine ripe tomato
½ cucumber
½ bell pepper
1 small red onion
1 jalapeno pepper
2/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
2 limes
salt
fresh ground pepper
vegetable oil

Directions:
  1. Dice avocado. Seed and dice tomatoes. Peel, seed, and dice cucumber. Dice onion. Dice bell pepper. Remove seeds and membrane from jalapeno, then mince. Combine together in a large bowl. Add cilantro and toss. Set aside.
  2. Shell, devein, and dice shrimp. Very lightly salt and toss.
  3. Warm pan on medium heat and lightly coat surface with oil. Sear shrimp lightly and quickly. This step is to par-cook the shrimp, so it is important that shrimp is not fully or overcooked. Remove from heat and add to vegetables.
  4. Juice both limes and add to large bowl. Lightly season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Toss thoroughly. Add more salt according to taste. Set aside for 10min. 
  5. Serve with tortilla chips.

4 comments:

  1. what makes ceviche authentic would be my question? i've never had "authentic" ceviche

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great question. I haven't either =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with ceviche! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Thuy! I appreciate the comment =)

      Delete