Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mac & Cheese

~There are essentially two types of macaroni and cheese; the right way, and the Kraft way. This was another dish which I disdained in my youth, until I had the real stuff.  However, I can understand why younger children (and some husbands) might enjoy small pasta pieces immersed with the soothing, creamy textures of Velveeta.  That is not what I make. I prefer the mature flavors of aged cheese and a buttery, crunchy topping. Essentially any mixture of cheeses can be used. The key is to introduce a bolder flavor, such as sharp Cheddar or smoked Gouda, to give the dish a bit of body. Most recipes call for panko topping. For some odd reason, I could not locate any in my pantry. However, I did have loads of fresh croutons so into the food processor they went and- viola, breadcrumbs. For the shredded cheese topping at the end, I left it open. If you are like me, you will invariably have a variety of shredded cheeses leftover from spaghetti nights or taco night. For this particular recipe, I used a mix of medium Cheddar, Colby Jack, and Cotija. Most any sort of soft, melty cheese will do.





Special Equipment:
   2qt or 3qt baking dish
   grater










Ingredients:
½ lb sharp Cheddar- grated
½ lb Jarlsberg- grated
3 tbsp Romano- grated
1 ½ cup shredded cheese (your pick)
1 cup breadcrumbs or panko
1 large egg
3 cups milk
1 ½ lb al dente cooked pasta
2x 4 tbsp butter
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
salt (if needed)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter baking pan and set aside.
  2. In a large pan, melt 4 tbsp butter on medium low heat. Whisk in flour to ensure there are no clumps. Add milk and bay leaf. Add egg and continue whisking slowly to blend.
  3. Reduce heat to low. Slowly add a small handful of grated cheeses at a time. Add more after the last batch melts and continue slowly whisking. Add nutmeg and fresh ground pepper. Taste and add salt if necessary. Depending on the variety of cheese, additional salt may not be necessary.
  4. Fold in pasta and mix thoroughly. Pour into baking pan and set aside.
  5. In a separate pan, melt remaining 4 tbsp butter on medium low heat. Add breadcrumbs to toast. Remove from heat and set aside.
  6. Spread shredded cheese evenly on top of pasta. Spread breadcrumbs evenly on top.
  7. Bake for 20-25min. 

4 comments:

  1. i LOVE LOVE LOVE mac and cheese...love the kraft version (yes, guilty) but also love the REAL version. wow I will need to try it with jarlsberg!!! i saw that bobby flay prefers asiago cuz it melts beautifully...I will have to try it with jarlsberg and asiago...and bacon might creep in there =P

    i heart your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goat cheese is wonderful too. I use it with a mild cheddar for thanksgiving, but shhh. The hubby doesn't know he thinks he hates goat cheese. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very impressed - usually tasty mac and cheese is super greasy, but this version is awesome!! so cheesy and delectable - even my chinese mom liked it :)

    ReplyDelete